YOU'VE GOT QUESTIONS?
WE'VE GOT ANSWERS
cLICK EACH TOPIC TO
REVEAL THE ANSWER
You can purchase ecoSHRED rubber mulch in 24 lb. sacks or in our 2,000 lb. super sacks.
ecoSHRED rubber mulch is 100% non-toxic.
Our rubber mulch is virtually metal free! Through production processes and several series of magnets, metal is
extracted, and mulch is sampled to be at or above 99.9% metal free by volume.
ecoSHRED has been tested by 2 outside sources and passed for not only zinc, but also lead and
other hazardous metals.
Unlike wood mulch, ecoSHRED rubber mulch is non-flammable material (based on testing by the Federal Hazardous Substance Act).
Unlike colored wood mulch, ecoSHRED does not have issues with color leaching. What is color leaching? Over time wood mulch breaks down and water washes over it. This causes those contaminants in mulch colorant to leach into the soil. This sometimes includes the actual dyes used for the coloring.
ecoSHRED has also been certified
Yes, our mulch has been tested by IPEMA and passed all tests required for certification.
“In the Interest of playground safety, the International Play Equipment Manufacturers Association
(IPEMA) provides a Third Party Certification program whereby a designated independent laboratory, TÜV
SÜD America Inc., (TÜV), validates a surfacing manufacturer’s certification of conformance to ASTM
F1292, Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation Under and Around Playground Equipment
Performance Criterion, Section 4.2; ASTM F1292, Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation Under
and Around Playground Equipment Performance Criterion (in its entirety); ASTM F3351, Standard Test
Method for Impact Testing In Laboratory at Specified Test Height; and for an engineered wood fiber
manufacturer its certification of conformance, also to ASTM F2075, Standard Specification for
Engineered Wood Fiber for Use as a Playground Safety Surface Under and Around Playground
Equipment; and for a Loose Fill Rubber manufacturer its certification of conformance, also to ASTM
F3012, Standard Specification for Loose Fill Rubber for Use as a Playground Safety Surface under and
around Playground Equipment. A list of current validated products, their thickness and critical height may
be viewed at www.ipema.org.”
Based on testing by the Federal Hazardous Substance Act (16 CFR 1500.44) in 1995, rubber mulch was found to be a non-flammable material.
Initially, there will be an odor from a newly opened bag of mulch but once installed the smell dissipates very quickly.
The short answer is, YES!
More specifically, when we recycle semi-truck tires, that avoids this material from filling up our landfills. ecoSHRED rubber mulch is made from 100% recycled material and keeps over 22 million pounds of used tires from going to the landfill.
Additionally, countless trees are saved when a home or business uses ecoSHRED rubber mulch instead of wood mulch. Wood mulch washes away, fades easily, and deteriorates quickly, so it needs to be replaced yearly (at least!). But ecoSHRED lasts nearly forever! Think of all of the trees you are saving!
It’s important to also note that ecoSHRED is non-toxic, not harmful to plants, soil, and ground water.
The temperature of rubber mulch will be equivalent to wood mulch, sand, or pea gravel.
ecoSHRED rubber mulch will keep the soil under it 10% cooler in the summer and 10% warmer in the winter. Rubber mulch does a better job of insulating outdoor plants from heat compared to wood chips and other organic materials.
In ‘Indoor’ gardens like sun-rooms and solariums, it is especially beneficial because it does not break down and emit a rotting smell.
ecoSHRED is much more protective in terms of falls or accidents than wood mulch.
Additionally, our rubber mulch is non-toxic. If a child or pet swallows a rubber nugget, it will not permanently injure them. They may experience some stomach discomfort at the beginning, but as the hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) does its work the nylon will be dissolved and the rubber will be expelled by the body with no lasting effects.
Since ecoSHRED employs UV resistant technology, it will hold its color for at least 10 years!
Unlike wood mulch, ecoSHRED helps repel pests that destroy plants and flowers. Unlike soil and wood, rubber isn’t attractive for insects to build nests in or gnaw on. This is particularly true for ants and termites. Some even use rubber mulch as a sort of insulation around their homes to keep insects at bay.
Safer when slips & falls occur than wood mulch. Plus, no splinters!
ecoSHRED is available in 12 colors and will make any playground instantly more aesthetically appealing.
Unlike wood mulch, you don’t have to replace ecoSHRED rubber mulch. It lasts nearly forever!
It is recommended that a protective layer such as landscape fabric be placed on the bare ground prior to installing the rubber mulch. Also, it is important to remove any material placed on the playground such as wood mulch or pea gravel before installing the rubber mulch.
Here are some best practices for installation:
1. Please visit the IPEMA website (www.ipema.org) to print a certificate showing the rubber mulch is IPEMA certified for ASTM F1292 for impact attenuation within the use zone of the playground equipment.
2. Prepare the site in accordance with the project engineer’s directions and project specifications.
3. Install drainage if needed as detailed by the manufacturer of the rubber mulch. Install borders around the perimeter to contain the rubber mulch.
4. Once drainage is installed, proceed to install the rubber mulch at the recommended thickness per the certified depth of 6 inches minimum. Be sure the surface is level & compacted.
Maintaining your rubber mulch surface is critical to keeping your surfacing ASTM compliant. The frequency of the maintenance information below should be conducted in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommendations.
1. Visually inspect the entire playground area. Remove all foreign material (i.e. trash, tree branches, etc.)
2. In the highest use areas and around equipment footers, dig down to the subsurface or drain system and measure the depth of the rubber mulch. Ensure that the depth is at the manufacturer’s original recommended depth (6 inches). Add rubber mulch as necessary, level and compact. The use of markings on the play structure supports or on the containment barriers is also recommended as a means to ensure depth of surface is kept to original thickness.
3. Check the performance of the drain system by ensuring that water is flowing from a drain system outflow pipe immediately after rain. Also, make sure there is no standing water on the playground surface. It is important to have a functioning drainage system if needed, to improve rubber mulch life expectancy and the resilience of the surfacing
Questions? Ask EcoShred
If you have questions about the process at EcoShred, we have the answers you need. Whether you want quality recycled products or you want affordable tire disposal services, EcoShred is your one-stop-shop. Reach out to our team to get started today!